A report from Grandview Research* states that the U.S. frozen desserts market size was valued at $52.82 billion in 2020, and during the forecast period of 2021 to 2028, the market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 5.7%.
Related: Latest Frozen Flavor Launches
The report cites market drivers such as the rising demand for low-sugar and low-calorie desserts domestically, as well as health-consciousness and the desire for new and exciting flavors.
Rising consumer spending on these desserts and the development of new products have also contributed to the industry’s growth.
Report highlights include:
- Chocolate and vanilla are the most preferred flavors in the U.S. market, while flavors such as cappuccino, rooibos tea, mocha, punch, cocoa and tropical flavors continue to grow in popularity.
- The ice cream and gelato segment held the largest share of more than 40.0% in 2020.
- The water and fruit puree-based frozen desserts segment is anticipated to be the fastest-growing segment with a CAGR of 13.0% from 2021 to 2028. The category includes shave ice, ice pops, sorbet, snow cones, water ices and popsicles.
- The gas stations and convenience stores segment held the largest share of more than 20.0% in 2020.
- The online and D2C segment is anticipated to be the fastest-growing distribution channel with a CAGR of 7.3% from 2021 to 2028. COVID-19 has provided a boost to the distribution channel.
- The dairy segment accounted for the largest share of more than 80.0% in 2020, while the vegan segment is anticipated to be the fastest-growing segment with a CAGR of 11.3% from 2021 to 2028.
*U.S. Frozen Desserts Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product (Ice Cream & Gelato, Water & Fruit Puree Based Frozen Desserts), By Type, By Distribution Channel, And Segment Forecasts, 2021 - 2028