National Flavors is currently hiring a flavorist for its Kalamazoo, MI location.
Essential Job Functions
- Creation of sweet flavor formulations.
- Create reverse engineered/duplications of flavors.
- Conducts laboratory experiments as well as designs the processes for making products with a consistent flavor, color and texture in large quantities.
- Utilizes laboratory equipment and instruments while communicating any equipment issues to Chief Flavor Chemist that he/she is unable to troubleshoot when needed.
- Runs samples on GC-MS equipment, including sample prep and analysis of results.
- Evaluates raw materials and works with team to qualify new suppliers for use in existing flavor concentrates including any necessary changes to maintain consistent year-to-year flavor targets and developing keys for ease of manufacturing.
- Maintain and update database of flavors and associated documentation.
- Maintains extensive knowledge of flavor ingredients including the key attributes of flavor subcomponents and their contributions to a flavor profile.
- Must keep up to date with new raw material developments, approvals and their use.
- Maintains a high level of understanding regarding testing and analytical equipment pertaining to flavors.
- Keep attuned to flavor trends in order to develop flavor profiles relevant to customer needs and expanding company product lines.
- Collaborates with other R&D team members to develop new flavors that match targeted consumer preferences for taste, nutrition, and refreshment.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, participating in professional organizations.
- Follows safety, quality and GMP policies.
- Collaborates with multi-disciplinary team members.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or other applied science. Full certification with the Society of Flavor Chemists is desired, however in process of certification over 3 years in training will be required.
Work Experience: 3 years of flavor creation expertise.
Industry Knowledge: Knowledge of organic chemistry, principles of food science and good laboratory practices preferred.
Personality and communication (soft skills):
- Must possess strong work ethic, high character and be passionate about serving others.
- Ability to work accurately, quickly and with good laboratory practices required.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and support multiple projects as necessary.
- Must possess a positive attitude, be engaging and a team player, and be able to communicate thoughts and ideas effectively with good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must maintain good standing in the SFC (Society of Flavor Chemists).
- Computer literacy required with proficiency in Microsoft Office products including Excel and Word, in addition to having ability to learn proprietary computer system and assist with developing application for unique R&D needs.
- Strong math skills and the ability to convert between varying units of measure is required.
- Accurate and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to differentiate tastes and smells is required. Must be able to consume a wide variety of foods, such as products that may contain wheat, eggs, milk and other known allergens. Experienced with sweet flavor profiles.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Must be able to lift up to 45 lb on regular basis
To learn more about the job, visit the full listing here.