T. Hasegawa has released its Flavor Flash report, which highlights what's trending in flavors and ingredients for desserts and confections.
Here we highlight five trends from the report:
- Dessert indulgence is about more than flavor alone: Brands looking to enhance indulgence can layer flavors and textures to help products stand out in a saturated market.
- Women are an ideal target market for desserts and confections: Women are the biggest consumers of most desserts and confections. They’re also the most open to innovation in new flavors.
- Social media trends are having a growing influence on dessert flavors: Young Americans' interest in alcohol-inspired flavors is falling and they are becoming more interested in beverages such as cold coffee, latte and horchata. These consumers show a higher interest in innovative flavor profiles than other demographics.
- Global pastry flavors like baklava, cobbler and churro are rising stars: While these are novel flavors, they are on track to become mainstream in the future.
- Exotic fruit flavors like lychee, melon and passionfruit are gaining momentum in desserts and confections: These flavors are often paired with mango or peach to balance a sense of familiarity and accessibility with adventure.