Bell Flavors & Fragrances, Inc. has announced the renewal of a handful of relationships designed to help drive its commitment to sustainability.
Bell has programs in place for supplier approval and validation for third-party certification requirements such as EcoVadis, Sedex and Safe Quality Food. Bell is actively exploring the potential for certification or verification from accredited sustainability programs with supply chain partners (i.e., UEBT, Rain Forest Alliance/UTZ, ECOCERT).
Some recent sustainability milestones Bell has reached include:
- Recently awarded a silver medal in recognition of sustainability achievements by EcoVadis after completion of its audit at Bell’s global headquarters in Northbrook, Illinois.
- Bell is a signatory member of the IFRA-IOFI Sustainability Charter, which is built around five focus areas: Responsible Sourcing, Environmental Footprint, Employee Well-Being, Product Safety, and Transparency.
- Partnering with the Safe Quality Foods Institute to showcase the company's commitment to a “culture of food safety and operational excellence in food safety management." For the 2021-2022 period, all of Bell's four North America sites received an “Excellent” rating.
- Bell continues its ongoing corporate membership with Sedex. This voluntary, global certification is renewed annually, with Bell required to undergo a Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit (SMETA) performed at five site-specific levels, including Illinois (corporate headquarters), New York, Mexico, Canada and Germany. SMETA is one of the most widely used social audits in the world, conducted to understand labor and human relations conditions, such as the health and safety of workers.
- Bell currently produces over 200 certified organic flavors held to these high Quality Assurance International (QAI) and USDA standards.
- In order to deliver a comprehensive portfolio of flavors fitting market needs and growing consumer demands for organic products, Bell EMEA (Europe) has carried out an organic certification for its European site.
“Bell partners with suppliers and focuses on sustainability and responsible sourcing to provide solutions for customers and consumers that demand and expect transparency. Our company is committed to make a difference for the planet and customers – our passion for the environment drives us to protect its ecosystem use and the integrity of our supply chain,” states Diego Darquea C., Vice President of Global Flavor & Fragrance Quality, Compliance and Safety.
“With investing in organic certified product solutions, we are not only supporting our customers in developing EU-compliant organic products. We are further reflecting Bell’s ambition to target consumer’s health and wellness aspirations and to provide our customers with opportunities to engage with broader target groups while increasing their brand‘s own value,” said Antje Wittich, Head of Marketing Bell EMEA.