Confectionery category sales reached $42.6 billion in 2022, according to the State of Treating report by the National Confectioners Association. Sales grew 11.1% in 2022 over 2021 and 22.1% over 2019.
- 79% of consumers agree that physical health and emotional well-being are interconnected, and 86% agree that it is fine to occasionally treat yourself with chocolate and candy.
- 78% believe confectionery sharing and gifting are great traditions.
- Consumers buy confectionery in three to four different retail channels, led by supercenters and supermarkets.
- 61% of shoppers look for confectionery products they have never purchased before.
- 59% of candy consumers have searched Facebook, YouTube and Instagram for confectionery-related content.
- 43% of consumers prefer to learn about a brand’s ESG efforts from the package label.
John Downs, NCA president and CEO, said, "With high marks for favorability and permissibility, along with the majority of consumers agreeing that confectionery is an affordable treat, chocolate and candy sales grew despite economic pressures. Consumers continue to treat with chocolate and candy to enhance their emotional well-being, celebrate holidays and enjoy everyday moments."