After a year’s COVID-induced hiatus, The Art and Olfaction Awards returns. Awarded to just eight projects and perfumes per year, The Art and Olfaction Awards are designed to celebrate excellence in independent perfumery, and raise public interest and awareness around new developments in perfumery, on a global scale.
The Art and Olfaction Awards, established in 2014 by The Institute for Art and Olfaction, are given to outstanding creators in the categories of independent, artisan and experimental perfume from across the globe, chosen for perfumes and experimental projects with scent released in 2020 and 2021.
The 8th Art and Olfaction Awards event will take place at the World Perfumery Congress in Miami on July 1, 2022. This marks a new collaboration between the Art and Olfaction Awards and the World Perfumery Congress (presented by the American Society for Perfumers).
A recent release by The Institute for Art and Olfaction reads, "We believe that this collaboration marks an important step in creating better connections between different segments of the perfume industry. By placing independent, artisan and experimental practices with scent in the context of the larger industry, we hope to highlight the creative impulse that drives us all."
This year's list of judges included Anahita Mekanik, Andreas Keller, April Long, Ashley Eden Kessler, Chi Wai Tang, Dana El Masri, Daniel Krasofksi, Darin Klein, Ida Meister, Jeanne Doré, John Biebel, Julianne Lee, Kaya Sorhaindo, Klara Ravat, Lakenda Wallace, Mandy Aftel, Mark Behnke, Matthias Tabert, Maxwell Williams, Rubia Chaudri, Sarah Horowitz-Thran, Simon Niedenthal and Yosh Han. Judging is blind in the artisan and independent categories, and for the Aftel Award for Handmade Perfume.
Each winner will receive The Golden Pear, which continues to cement its status as an important achievement in the perfume world.
The finalists for The 8th Art and Olfaction Awards are:
INDEPENDENT CATEGORY FINALISTS
- A’mmare by Carthusia I Profumi di Capri | Perfumer: Luca Maffei (Atelier Fragranze Milano) Creative Director: Virginia Ruocco | Italy
- Aged Tea by Pan Seven International | Perfumer: Pan Yu Ching, Huang Chien Shun Creative Director: Pan Yu Ching | Taiwan
- Basilica by Milano Fragranze | Perfumer: Violaine Collas (Mane) Creative Director: Alessandro Brun | Italy
- Beton Brut by Atelier Oblique | Perfumer: Serge de Oliveira (Robertet) Creative Director: Mario Lombardo | Germany
- Libertalia by House of Wanderers | Perfumer: Paul Kiler (Independent) Creative Director: Charlie Romano | United States
- Lightfalls by Atelier Oblique | Perfumer: Serge de Oliveira (Robertet) Creative Director: Mario Lombardo | Germany
- Naples by Gallivant | Perfumer: Luca Maffei (Atelier Fragranze Milano) Creative Director: Nick Steward | England
- Omen by Manos Gerakinis Parfums | Perfumer: Miguel Matos (Independent) Creative Director: Manos Gerakinis | Greece
- Park of the Monsters by In Fieri | Perfumer: Enrico Buccella (Independent) Creative Director: Maria Teresa Venezia | United States / Italy
- Saskia by Grandiflora | Perfumer: Christophe Laudamiel with Ugo Charron (DreamAir) Creative Director: Saskia Havekes | Australia
ARTISAN CATEGORY FINALISTS
- Angora Oud by Gallup Perfume | Perfumer: Amyllia Gallup | United States
- Behold, Patchouli by Gallagher Fragrances | Perfumer: Daniel Gallagher, with Mindy Ruiz | United States
- Celadawn by Matteo Parfums | Perfumer: Matthew J. Sánchez | United States
- Divined by Mobius Fragrances Perfumer: Tianyou Lou | China
- Gentle King by Voice from the Sky Perfumer: Tianle Feng | China
- Great Wall Valley by Scent Strip Perfume Perfumer: Jil Croquet | United States
- Mayan Chocolate by Aether Arts Perfume | Perfumer: Amber Jobin | United States
- Oolong Tea by One Day | Perfumer: Michael Wong | Hong Kong
- This Ember by Anka Kuş Parfüm | Perfumer: Ali Erkekli | Australia
- Zanzibar by Olfactum Fragrances | Perfumer: Barry Southers | United States
SADAKICHI AWARD FINALISTS
Due to a tie, there are six finalists in the Sadakichi Award (experimental category).
- Memory Bar by Thomas Buckley | Perfumer: Renske van Vroonhoven Netherlands
- Olfabet by Peter de Cupere | Perfumer: Peter de Cupere Belgium
- Pulse by Charlotte Eta Mumm | Perfumer: Frank Bloem With Lefki Mevissen Netherlands
- Scent in Cinema / Twitch & Sniff by Jas Brooks, Tammy Burnstock, Ashlyn Sparrow | Perfumer: Neil Harris / Print-A-Scent United States / Australia
- Thanatos by Eric Fong | Perfumer: Euan McCall England
- Viral Parfum by Maki Ueda | Perfumer: Maki Ueda Japan
In addition to the three categories listed above, the Art and Olfaction Awards give three discretionary awards.
AFTEL AWARD FOR HANDMADE PERFUME
Given to one outstanding small-batch perfume that was 100% perfumer-created, in-house, with no use of outsourced compounding or expansion at any stage of the process. The winner is selected blindly by a special jury out of the top ten qualifying artisan submissions.
CONTRIBUTION TO SCENT CULTURE AWARD
This award will be given to one outstanding person who made significant contributions to global public awareness of artisan, independent and experimental practices with scent in 2020/21.
SEPTIMUS PIESSE VISIONARY AWARD This award will be given to an outstanding person showing proof of exceptional vision with regards to how scent is used, developed, or imagined.
Visit www.worldperfumerycongress.com to learn more and register.