McCormick & Co. (Hunt Valley, Maryland) has released its McCormick Flavor Forecast 2015, reflecting the rapidly increasing demand for bolder, more intense flavor experiences.
Eight flavor trends to watch, as identified by a global team of McCormick chefs and flavor experts, are:
1. Global Blends On the Move—Japanese 7 Spice (Shichimi Togarashi) offers a new kind of spicy heat, while Shawarma Spice Blend lends warm, spiced flavor to grilled meats and more.
2. Middle Eastern Mezze—These distinctive dips and spreads, packed with zesty herbs and seasonings, offer an approachable and delicious introduction to a vibrant global cuisine.
3. Sour + Salt—Combining coarse salt with surprising sours like pickled ginger, sour cherry, dried mango and lemon zest results in a lively finishing flavor that lends brightness and texture to dishes.
4. Smoked Spices—Smoking spices and herbs deepens their flavor and aroma, adding richness to meals and drinks.
5. Umami Veggies—For a fresh way to savor the tempting “fifth taste,” look no further than naturally umami-rich veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and nori.
6. Liquid Revolution—Fresh purees and juices blend with bold spices and herbs to intensify sauces, pasta, dressings and more - providing a fun, delicious way to enjoy an extra serving of fruits and veggies.
7. Flavor Worth the Wait—Lift the lid to discover the rich flavors from recipes around the world that meld aromatic spices and comforting ingredients into mouthwatering slow-cooked meals.
8. Cookies Reimagined—Classic spiced cookie flavors take new form in decadent, imaginative desserts that redefine “milk and cookies.”