Kao Corporation has been selected for inclusion in the A List for climate change and water protection by CDP.
Previously: Kao Receives Consumer Affairs Agency's Commendation for Best Practice
Marking a first, Kao had not previously been chosen for inclusion in the climate change A List, but has now been included in the water security A List three times, from 2016 and 2019.
Previously: Kao Corporation Selected for Bloomberg's Gender-Equality Index
The CDP A list is a list of companies receiving the highest evaluation for taking proactive measures in relation to the environment, based on a global survey of business enterprises' response to climate change and their activities in relation to water security.
For climate change, 8,361 companies responded and for water security, 2,435 companies.
Related: Beauty and F&F Companies Make This Year's CDP A List
Recognizing its responsibility as an enterprise that provides products which people use on a regular basis in their daily lives, the Kao Group takes active steps to reduce the environmental footprint of its products throughout the entirety of the product lifecycle.
Related: Kao Corporation Named Corporate Knights' Global 100 Most Sustainable
In April 2019, Kao launched the Kirei Lifestyle Plan, its environmental, social and governance (ESG) strategy, which incorporates 19 key leadership actions. By integrating ESG into the core of its company management, Kao will drive business growth and better serve consumers and society through its enhanced products and services.
The inclusion of Kao in the climate change and water security A lists can be seen as reflecting a positive evaluation of the following points:
- Setting of CO2 reduction targets for the entire product lifecycle
- “eco together” activities that involve collaboration with various stakeholders, including consumers and business partners
- Proactive disclosure of the climate change related risks and opportunities affecting the business
- Kao's positioning of water conservation as a key action item in its global ESG strategy
- Efforts to reduce water usage in both its domestic and international production facilities and to provide water-saving products
- “eco together" activities
- Proactive disclosure of the water related risks and opportunities affecting the business
“We are honored to have been awarded an A in both climate change and water security,” Dave Muenz, executive officer in charge of ESG at Kao Corporation, said. “This recognition demonstrates our commitment to driving innovations from an ESG perspective to help people live more sustainable, Kirei Lifestyles—a beautiful life inside and out.”