"There really aren't many places in the United States doing flavor research," says Gary Reineccisu, professor and department head of Food Science and Nutrition at the University of Minnesota. "The numbers are getting smaller, the funding more difficult. Flavor [research] is not something the government supports. If we are looking at basic work that needs to be done, it really has to come from industry one way or another." He adds, "Every company is into headcounts. They don't [always] have money to hire more people, so they need outside resources such as the Flavor Research and Education Center (FREC) will provide." FREC is a new platform for academic and industry collaboration spun off from the university to help overcome these hurdles. Devin Peterson, associate professor in the Food Science and Nutrition department, adds, "Companies are realizing the cost of (flavor) research and are looking for better, more efficient ways to meeting their technical needs."
The Last Word: F&F Innovation Within Reach
July 20, 2011
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Research
- 532Symrise Uses Food and Pleasure Study to Create New Flavors
- 364Study Reveals That Color Affects Taste Perception
- 180How Will Sustainability Goals of Big Retailers Affect F&F?
- 173Natural Source Testing for Flavors and Fragrances
- 124Editor's Note: The Doors of Perception...Lead Us to the Senses
- 116Patent Pick: A Knack for Natural Flavors
- 92Does Sound Impact Taste?
- 61Taste, Aroma and the Brain
- 52Upping Fragrance Intensity via Cyclodextrins*
- 51Flavor Changes in Plastic Containers: A Literature Review
- Chemical Characterization of Vanilla pompona Scheide, Part II
1/4/2016, Galeas et al.
- Raw Material Bulletin: March 2015
2/26/2016, Mino Zaccaro
- Evaluating Encapsulation Economics
4/6/2016, L. Michael Popplewell
- The Impact of Recombinant DNA Technology on the Flavor and Fragrance Industry
4/6/2016, Andreas Muheim, Alex Hausler, Boris Schilling and Konrad Lerch
- Flavor Changes in Plastic Containers: A Literature Review
4/6/2016, Hans Gremli