"There really aren't many places in the United States doing flavor research," says Gary Reineccisu, professor and department head of Food Science and Nutrition at the University of Minnesota. "The numbers are getting smaller, the funding more difficult. Flavor [research] is not something the government supports. If we are looking at basic work that needs to be done, it really has to come from industry one way or another." He adds, "Every company is into headcounts. They don't [always] have money to hire more people, so they need outside resources such as the Flavor Research and Education Center (FREC) will provide." FREC is a new platform for academic and industry collaboration spun off from the university to help overcome these hurdles. Devin Peterson, associate professor in the Food Science and Nutrition department, adds, "Companies are realizing the cost of (flavor) research and are looking for better, more efficient ways to meeting their technical needs."
The Last Word: F&F Innovation Within Reach
July 20, 2011
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Research
- 142Study Reveals That Color Affects Taste Perception
- 57Flavor Bites: Flavor Companies—Finding the Right Fit
- 43Sense of Smell Linked to Genes, Study Says
- 39Endpoint. Synesthesia is Music to our Taste Buds
- 14Natural Source Testing for Flavors and Fragrances
- 13Study: A Plate's Shape and Color Influences Taste Perception
- 13Firmenich Developing New Encapsulation Technology
- 12Flavor Changes in Plastic Containers: A Literature Review
- 11How Will Sustainability Goals of Big Retailers Affect F&F?
- 8The relationship between odor and flavor
- Evaluating Encapsulation Economics
4/6/2016, L. Michael Popplewell
- The Impact of Recombinant DNA Technology on the Flavor and Fragrance Industry
4/6/2016, Andreas Muheim, Alex Hausler, Boris Schilling and Konrad Lerch
- Flavor Changes in Plastic Containers: A Literature Review
4/6/2016, Hans Gremli
- Enantiomeric Odor Differences and Gas Chromatographic Properties of Flavors and Fragrances.
4/6/2016, Bernhard Koppenhoefer, Richard Behnisch, Ulrich Epperlein, Helga Holzschuh, Alexander Bernreuther, Patrick Piras and Christian Roussel
- Advances in Flavor Research and Technology
4/6/2016, Wilhelm Pickenhagen