The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has launched for a public consultation period for its draft opinion, which evaluates the relevance and reliability of the Threshold of Toxicological Concern (TTC) approach as a tool for qualitative assessment and scientific advice about human health risks from low levels of exposure to substances present in food and feed. In the opinion, EFSA’s scientific committee concluded the TTC approach is not only useful for qualitative risk assessment, but it is also suitable for setting priorities for assessing the safety of chemicals, thus enabling more efficient use of available resources and possible reductions in unnecessary animal testing. The opinion also identifies areas where the approach could be applied in EFSA’s work and the areas and substances for which it is not suitable. All stakeholders and interested parties are invited to provide their comments through the online public consultation by September 15, 2011. Click here for more information on submitting feedback.
EFSA Requests Feedback on TTC Opinion
July 14, 2011
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Regulatory
- 245Campbell Starts to Label 'GMO'
- 173FDA Dissuades Using ‘GMO’ Acronym on Labels
- 153Flavorchem Launches Line of Non-GMO Ingredients
- 1286th Edition of Food Chemical Codex Now Open-Source
- 75Update: Flavor Under Fire in E-Cigarettes
- 41OEHHA Intends to List β-Myrcene and Pulegone as Cancer Causing
- 31EFSA: Citrus Flavor Perilla Aldehyde is Unsafe, Genotoxic
- 29FDA Asks Public How to Define 'Natural'?
- 26FEMA Updates GRAS List
- 26FEMA GRAS 27 List Adds New Materials, Nixes Quinoline and More
- How to: Organic Certification
5/13/2009, Jessica Walden and Ellen Holton, Quality Assurance International Inc.
- Ensuring Regulatory Compliance for Flavor Companies
1/9/2009, Patty Benson, SAFC
- A Structured Approach toward Standardized Specifications for the Flavor Industry
3/18/2009, G. Lösing, B. Ebeling, J. Foerstner, R. Althage, C.O. Schmidt and G.E. Krammer, Symrise
- Naturally Does It
11/16/2009, Steve Pringle (with John Gilroy), Frutarom USA
- NEXT: Commoditization and Food/Flavor Safety
1/13/2010, Jeb Gleason-Allured, Editor