In recent years the controversy surrounding the use of chemicals like diacetyl has brought a heightened scrutiny to workplace safety practices in the flavor industry. One result was the publication of various guidance documents to address the subject from organizations such as National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and governmental agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Numerous trade associations, such as the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA) and International Fragrance Association (IFRA), have also issued guidance documents about workplace safety. Many of these recommendations apply across the board and not just to the use and handling of a specific chemical. However, once these policies are implemented, it is equally important that they be followed on a daily basis. In effect, these policies have to become part of the workplace culture. Otherwise, failing to ensure these processes and procedures are adhered to on a day to day basis will unfortunately defeat the very purpose for which they were created.
October 21, 2011
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Regulatory
- 634Carrageenan -- Out (Mic. Drop)
- 530Q&A: EU’s Regulation Progression with Alexander Mohr
- 1596th Edition of Food Chemical Codex Now Open-Source
- 105REACH—The Essential Guide
- 100Evolva Talks GMO Labeling Law and What's Needed Next
- 75EU Deletes Four Flavor Ingredients on Safety Concerns
- 54Look Who's Talkin' About Natural: FDA Ends Comments
- 45Ensuring Regulatory Compliance for Flavor Companies
- 41FDA Asks Public How to Define 'Natural'?
- 40Redefining Communication: NAFFS Explores Safety and Natural Labeling
- Regulatory View: The Taste Test
4/6/2016, Tim Adams
- European Flavor Regulation (EC) No. 2232/96
4/6/2016, Louise-Anne Vervaet
- TSCA and TSCA Compliance
4/6/2016, Daniel F. Rovelli and Robert H. Bedoukian
- The Significance of GRAS and Nature-Identical for Worldwide Harmonization of Flavor Regulation
4/6/2016, Jan Stofberg
- "EEC Flavour Directive”
4/6/2016, Harms-Erwin Muermann