In recent years the controversy surrounding the use of chemicals like diacetyl has brought a heightened scrutiny to workplace safety practices in the flavor industry. One result was the publication of various guidance documents to address the subject from organizations such as National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and governmental agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Numerous trade associations, such as the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA) and International Fragrance Association (IFRA), have also issued guidance documents about workplace safety. Many of these recommendations apply across the board and not just to the use and handling of a specific chemical. However, once these policies are implemented, it is equally important that they be followed on a daily basis. In effect, these policies have to become part of the workplace culture. Otherwise, failing to ensure these processes and procedures are adhered to on a day to day basis will unfortunately defeat the very purpose for which they were created.
October 21, 2011
Most Popular in Regulatory
- 569FDA Asks Public How to Define 'Natural'?
- 215EU Proposal Updates Novel Foods Law, Talks Nano Ingredients
- 1796th Edition of Food Chemical Codex Now Open-Source
- 117EFSA: Citrus Flavor Perilla Aldehyde is Unsafe, Genotoxic
- 54European Commission Orders to Remove Perilla Aldehyde Flavoring
- 29FDA Warning Reminder: Whole Stevia Leaf Not GRAS Approved
- 29FEMA Updates GRAS List
- 26FEMA GRAS 26 Now Available
- 22OEHHA Intends to List β-Myrcene and Pulegone as Cancer Causing
- 21Ensuring Regulatory Compliance for Flavor Companies
- How to: Organic Certification
5/13/2009, Jessica Walden and Ellen Holton, Quality Assurance International Inc.
- Ensuring Regulatory Compliance for Flavor Companies
1/9/2009, Patty Benson, SAFC
- A Structured Approach toward Standardized Specifications for the Flavor Industry
3/18/2009, G. Lösing, B. Ebeling, J. Foerstner, R. Althage, C.O. Schmidt and G.E. Krammer, Symrise
- Naturally Does It
11/16/2009, Steve Pringle (with John Gilroy), Frutarom USA
- NEXT: Commoditization and Food/Flavor Safety
1/13/2010, Jeb Gleason-Allured, Editor