Flexitral Inc. (Chantilly, Virginia) will provide a principal investigator, founder Luca Turin, to the MITRealNose project funded by DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency). According to DARPA, “The key to the program concept is that by simulating the entire mammalian olfactory system (from air intake to pattern recognition), revolutionary detection capabilities will be created. The primary goal is to create a more advanced model of the e-nose, one that can detect specific substances at increased distances and with higher accuracy (essentially, to be as reliable as a dog).” The program will utilize Turin’s well-publicized “vibration” theory of olfaction.
Flexitral Inc., MIT to Create the “Real Nose”
January 14, 2009
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Research
- 11021st Century Leap of Fragrance
- 96A Person's Sense of Smell Can Reveal a Weight Bias, Study Finds
- 95Smell-Training Can Improve Olfactory Loss
- 78The Juice: Dr. Jenny Tillotson and eScent
- 73Monell Receives Grant to Evaluate Role of Nasal Airflow Obstruction in Anosmia
- 59Odor Elimination Testing Never Smelled Better
- 41Biological Scent Design
- 31Application of Gas-Liquid Chromatography to the Analysis of Essential Oils
- 20Fragrance Industry Responds to Anne Steinemann's Study
- 15Aroma-Chology: A Status Review
- The Psychology of Perfume: Art vs. Science Commentary
1/4/2016, David Chirko
- Applying Neuroscience to Understand Consumer Preferences
1/4/2016, Niedziela et al.
- Endpoint. Connecting the Dots in F&F
2/29/2016, Rachel L. Grabenhofer, Scientific Acquisitions Editor, Allured Business Media
- Chemical Characterization of Vanilla pompona Scheide, Part I
11/20/2015, Maria Galeas, et al.
- Base-catalysed of terpenes
4/14/2016, James Verghese