Flexitral Inc. (Chantilly, Virginia) will provide a principal investigator, founder Luca Turin, to the MITRealNose project funded by DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency). According to DARPA, “The key to the program concept is that by simulating the entire mammalian olfactory system (from air intake to pattern recognition), revolutionary detection capabilities will be created. The primary goal is to create a more advanced model of the e-nose, one that can detect specific substances at increased distances and with higher accuracy (essentially, to be as reliable as a dog).” The program will utilize Turin’s well-publicized “vibration” theory of olfaction.
Flexitral Inc., MIT to Create the “Real Nose”
January 14, 2009
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Research
- 485The Juice: Dr. Jenny Tillotson and eScent
- 193Odor Elimination Testing Never Smelled Better
- 15121st Century Leap of Fragrance
- 112Smell-Training Can Improve Olfactory Loss
- 72Patent Pick: Floral and Citrus from a Cyclopropane Ring
- 65Biological Scent Design
- 33Patent Pick: Stop Stressing
- 31Patent Pick: The Answer to Amber
- 19Malodor Control-—A Review
- 18The Mysterious Olfaction Molecule Unmasked
- Nasal Cilia: The ‘Long and Short’ of Scent-sation
10/20/2015, Perfumer & Flavorist editors
- The Psychology of Perfume: Art vs. Science Commentary
1/4/2016, David Chirko
- Applying Neuroscience to Understand Consumer Preferences
1/4/2016, Niedziela et al.
- Adding Scents to Symbols
10/13/2015, Kate Williams, et al.
- Endpoint. Connecting the Dots in F&F
2/29/2016, Rachel L. Grabenhofer, Scientific Acquisitions Editor, Allured Business Media