As Marcia Pelchat, associate member of the Monell Center, put it, “Flavor happens in the brain.” Pelchat and her colleagues presented an update on the latest organoleptic and olfactive research and understanding, including taste receptors in the oral cavity, physiology of the taste bud and brain regions involved in flavor perception. Meanwhile, a reception at Monell provided an exciting glimpse into the organization’s research facilities. Judith McLean demonstrated the technique and technology that allowed for the examination of intact fungiform mouse, pig and human papillae. This research led to new insights into a possible new taste—calcium. Catherine Peyrot discussed the possible anti-inflammatory benefits imparted by the throat-stinging component of olive oil. Paul Wise’s entertaining demonstration of nasal lateralization, which can be counteracted via the smell of high-concentration and/or high-impact materials such as ethanol. Read our extended coverage, plus a guest column from Monell, in our April issue.
SFC/CSA Meeting at Monell: Leading-Edge Sensory Science
February 19, 2009
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Event Coverage
- 336A Fragrant Feast: "An Evening of Pairings" with the American Society of Perfumers
- 89The Challenge of "Natural;" Flavor and Fragrance Trends
- 41Fragrance Sales Certification Program
- 20British Society Of Flavourists’ Flavorist Training Course
- 182006 FiFi Award Winners
- 17The Language and Principles of Flavor Creation
- 15Champion of Fragrance: Fragrance Foundation Honors Patrick Firmenich
- 14Update on ISO for Essential Oils
- 14Ingredient Disclosure and Fragrance Safety
- 13FEMA Examines Sustainability: Is It Sustainable?
- First Look: Society of Flavor Chemists Flavor Symposium 2014
- Champion of Fragrance: Fragrance Foundation Honors Patrick Firmenich
- Africa: The Next Center of the Commercial Universe?
- NAFFS Winter Meeting: A Taste of Innovation by Bacardi
1/13/2016, Deniz Ataman
- 'Ten Years of Ethical Sourcing' With Givaudan
1/19/2016, Mino Zaccaro
SFC/CSA Meeting at Monell
Marcia Pelchat, associate member of the Monell Center, and her colleagues presented an update on the latest organoleptic and olfactive research and understanding, including taste receptors in the oral cavity, physiology of the taste bud and brain regions involved in flavor perception.