By: Kelly Frederick
Posted: January 5, 2009
Featuring 20 raw material suppliers, the latest Chemical Sources Association (CSA) roundtable featured a wide range of flavor ingredients. A quick snapshot of some of the offerings:
- IFF displayed a mushroom extract (1-octen-3-ol 80–90%) that possesses soy-masking capabilities.
- Elan showed synthetic glycerine tripropanoate (FEMA# 3286; CAS# 139-45-7), a replacement for diacetyl.
- Mane exhibited a rectified bergamot essential oil with a citrusy, fruity and aromatic character.
- AM Todd displayed a number of mint blends designed to "insure sustainability and reproducibility."
- Berje showed Ginger T'less, a Nigerian ginger cleaned through molecular distillation.
- Frutarom exhibited SE Chrysanthemum FR, a natural material appropriate for chrysanthemum tea notes and blueberry.
- Citrus & Allied displayed blue Hungarian chamomile oil with tobaccolike, fatty and tea notes.
- Global Essence showed a granulated Italian bergamot material that possesses a standard 12-month shelf-life.
- Vigon and Givaudan co-presented a furanol acetate, which had a cotton candy, slightly burnt candy character.
- Lionel Hitchen USA presented a super-soluble coriander seed material with a colalike note and which is appropriate for herb notes in beverages.
During the meeting, the following appointments were made to the CSA board:
- President: Cynthia Lipka (Sethness Greenleaf)
- VP/Secretary: Dolores Avezzano (Cargill)
- VP/Treasurer: Florentina Michael (Charkit)
- Chairman: Chris Williams (Wild)
- Member at Large: Barbara Tangel (IFF)
- Member at Large: Kent Zeller (Hershey)
- Member at Large: Ed Brown (EWB Sales LLC)
- Member at Large: Marianne Maloney (Takasago)
- Member at Large: Christine Daley (A.M. Todd)
- Member at Large: Peter Mazeiko (Ottens Flavors)
- New Member: Alpa Roman (Flavor & Fragrance Specialties)
- New Member: Dianne Sansone (Flavor & Fragrance Specialties)
- New Member: Michele DiStefano (Flavor Materials Intl.)