Most Popular in:
IFF Releases Annual Sustainability Report
Posted: June 27, 2013
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (IFF) has released its latest annual sustainability report, which details its commitment to corporate, social and environmental responsibility and offers a look into progress made in the past year as well as future goals.
"I believe we are on the right path to create a lasting influence over how we do business by keeping the triple bottom line in the forefront of our thinking," said Doug Tough, Chairman and CEO. "By working on a global level, we consistently focus on our goals to reduce carbon emissions, waste, energy and water use by 20+ percent by 2020," he said.
In its report, IFF groups its progress into four sustainability pillars, which are closely aligned with the company's long-term business strategy: IFF's products: creating innovative customer solutions; impact: strengthening its eco-efficiency and community relationships; sources: sourcing responsibly; and people: engaging and inspiring employees.
IFF's 2012 performance highlights included reducing carbon emissions by 6.4%, reducing energy use by 4.4%, reducing water use by 12.2%, and a 9.6% reduction in hazardous waste.
The company also noted:
- FlavorFit, a new umbrella brand for its portfolio of health and wellness products for consumers concerned about sugar, sodium, fat or added MSG in their products.
- The introduction of Natural Ethics Vanilla, which ensures the purchase of vanilla from farmers who adhere to strict sustainability guidelines.
- The formal adoption of green chemistry principles and green chemistry training.
- Doubling the number of IFF's major suppliers registered with Supplier Ethical Data Exchange (SEDEX).
- The expansion of a pioneering olfactotherapy treatment program, which uses fragrance to help patients regain memories and speech ability after trauma or coma.
The report was prepared using the G3.1 guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the global standard for such reporting, and has obtained an Application Level Check of B+.