As the flavor and fragrance industry pursues private label customers around the world, a new Datamonitor (www.datamonitor.com) report takes note of the category’s increasing dominance. “The Impact of Private Labels on FMCG Companies in India” notes that while the value proposition of private labels initiates consumer interest, growing quality—often on par with major brands—retains that loyalty. “The increased scale of operations of retailers is shifting the bargaining power from fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) companies to retailers,” says India market research director Vaibhav Khera. “The growing adoption of private labels can compel FMCG companies to reassess their trade margins or relationship with retailers.” As Indian retailers realize greater margins and bargaining power with national brands as a result of private label sales, private label brands will begin to resemble their national counterparts in terms of product claims and packaging. The report notes that so-called “low involvement” categories such as household care presents a lower barrier to entry compared to food and beverages and personal care, thus presenting the most immediate opportunity.
Private Labels Turning the Tables on National Brands
December 7, 2009
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Trends
- 590State of Fragrance Through 2018: The Rise of the Niche Fragrance
- 495[Video] Call it a Comeback: The Future of Fragrance
- 448Art and Olfaction Awards Honor Independent Perfumers
- 420Fragrance Fixatives Market Stays Stable through 2025
- 349Wrap Up in Hygge-Inspired F&F
- 334Techy Fragrance Innovations Turn Heads (and Noses)
- 250What Scent Trends are Millennials Looking for in 2017?
- 189Waft This Way: Women’s Fragrance Trends Report
- 154Brazilian Fragrance Blooms in Color
- 147The Juice: Fragrance Evaluators Tell Their Stories
- Bloom, Groom or Doom—Market Research Study of the Men’s Fragrance Market
4/28/2016, Everett Johnson
- Changing Trends in the Marketing of Fragrances, Women’s and Men’s, in the United States
4/28/2016, Robert Ruttenberg
- Present and Future of the Japanese Fragrance and Flavor Industry
4/29/2016, Tatsuo Moroe, Hiroshi Takamatsu, Michiaki Kawasaki
- Forward Thinking: Fragrance Frenzy
6/8/2016, Amy Marks-McGee
- The Juice: Ruth Mastenbroek
6/8/2016, Pia Long
Graph depicting range of private label penetration
An assessment of the relative threat of private labels to national brands.