As the flavor and fragrance industry pursues private label customers around the world, a new Datamonitor (www.datamonitor.com) report takes note of the category’s increasing dominance. “The Impact of Private Labels on FMCG Companies in India” notes that while the value proposition of private labels initiates consumer interest, growing quality—often on par with major brands—retains that loyalty. “The increased scale of operations of retailers is shifting the bargaining power from fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) companies to retailers,” says India market research director Vaibhav Khera. “The growing adoption of private labels can compel FMCG companies to reassess their trade margins or relationship with retailers.” As Indian retailers realize greater margins and bargaining power with national brands as a result of private label sales, private label brands will begin to resemble their national counterparts in terms of product claims and packaging. The report notes that so-called “low involvement” categories such as household care presents a lower barrier to entry compared to food and beverages and personal care, thus presenting the most immediate opportunity.
Private Labels Turning the Tables on National Brands
December 7, 2009
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Trends
- 1421What Scent Trends are Millennials Looking for in 2017?
- 1181Waft This Way: Women’s Fragrance Trends Report
- 365Female Fragrance Market to Continue Blooming through 2024
- 357The Juice: Fragrance Evaluators Tell Their Stories
- 259How Millennial Men are Influencing the Fragrance Market
- 249Fragrance Trends Move Towards Unisex Scents and Customization
- 205Preserving Perfumed History at Osmotheque of Versailles
- 193Eau Boy: Thierry Mugler Announces New Alien Fragrance
- 164Bask in that New Car Smell
- 157Natural Fragrance Ingredient Market Worth $5.3 Billion by 2024
- International Perfumer Meeting: Enhancing the Recognition of Perfumery Worldwide
- How to prosper in a world of corporate giants
4/14/2016, Denis Desprez
- The emerging fragrance consumer
4/14/2016, Shirley Lord
- Computer-Controlled Smell Output
4/6/2016, Joseph Kaye
- Art, Science and Society: Keys to Sensory Success
4/6/2016, Annette Green
Graph depicting range of private label penetration
An assessment of the relative threat of private labels to national brands.