The British Retail Consortium (BRC) members have voluntarily committed to eliminating industrially added trans-fats from all of their own brand lines by the end of 2007. As part of the European Union’s efforts to tackle food-related health concerns, the European Commission wants retailers to reduce or remove trans-fats but, in a contradictory move, it is now taking legal action against the government of Denmark for restricting trans-fats in food products there. Despite being at odds with the EU healthy food objectives, European rules say the Danish move is an illegal free trade restriction because it hinders suppliers from other member states selling products containing trans-fats in Denmark. To avoid the legislative confusion, BRC food retailers voluntarily pledged to remove trans-fats. The retailers’ commitment was praised in an Early Day Motion, published in the House of Commons. The BRC members are: Asda, Boots, Co-Op, Iceland, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose.
England Eliminates Trans-Fats
February 5, 2007
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Regulatory
- 203Campbell Starts to Label 'GMO'
- 162FDA Dissuades Using ‘GMO’ Acronym on Labels
- 145Flavorchem Launches Line of Non-GMO Ingredients
- 1336th Edition of Food Chemical Codex Now Open-Source
- 62Update: Flavor Under Fire in E-Cigarettes
- 45OEHHA Intends to List β-Myrcene and Pulegone as Cancer Causing
- 40European Commission Orders to Remove Perilla Aldehyde Flavoring
- 33EFSA: Citrus Flavor Perilla Aldehyde is Unsafe, Genotoxic
- 27FEMA Updates GRAS List
- 27FEMA GRAS 26 Now Available
- How to: Organic Certification
5/13/2009, Jessica Walden and Ellen Holton, Quality Assurance International Inc.
- Ensuring Regulatory Compliance for Flavor Companies
1/9/2009, Patty Benson, SAFC
- A Structured Approach toward Standardized Specifications for the Flavor Industry
3/18/2009, G. Lösing, B. Ebeling, J. Foerstner, R. Althage, C.O. Schmidt and G.E. Krammer, Symrise
- Naturally Does It
11/16/2009, Steve Pringle (with John Gilroy), Frutarom USA
- NEXT: Commoditization and Food/Flavor Safety
1/13/2010, Jeb Gleason-Allured, Editor