The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) Panel on additives, flavorings, processing aids and materials in contact with food (AFC) is working on a systematic evaluation of the safety of flavoring substances currently in use in the European Union. The European member states identified 2,800 flavoring substances that may be used in and on foodstuffs, which have been divided into 48 groups by their chemical make-up. In order to confirm that their use is safe, EFSA’s AFC panel has been looking into intake levels, absorption, metabolism and toxicity of individual substances in humans. During the process, the EFSA has identified gaps in the information, and is turning to the industry requesting more information. The type of data missing varies from production volumes to information on toxicity that might require additional research and testing in vitro and in vivo. Recently, one substance, 2-methyl-1,3-butadiene (isoprene), has been identified where there are adequate data to question its safety with any certainty, given its genotoxic potential and carcinogenic effects in experimental animals. EFSA aims to complete the evaluations of all the substances by April 2008.
EFSA Requests More Info from Industry
February 1, 2008
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Regulatory
- 248EU Deletes Four Flavor Ingredients on Safety Concerns
- 180Look Who's Talkin' About Natural: FDA Ends Comments
- 153Nutrition Facts Update: Bev Makers Cutting the Sugar in Drinks
- 132Ensuring Regulatory Compliance for Flavor Companies
- 102FDA Hosts Industry Webinar on Nutrition Facts Label
- 1016th Edition of Food Chemical Codex Now Open-Source
- 29Will Nixing the EU’s Sugar Quota Bring Sweet Change?
- 28OEHHA Intends to List β-Myrcene and Pulegone as Cancer Causing
- 26FEMA Updates GRAS List
- 24EFSA: Citrus Flavor Perilla Aldehyde is Unsafe, Genotoxic
- Regulatory Watch: Trans Fat, GRAS, Fragrance Guidelines and More
- Regulatory View: The Taste Test
4/6/2016, Tim Adams
- European Flavor Regulation (EC) No. 2232/96
4/6/2016, Louise-Anne Vervaet
- TSCA and TSCA Compliance
4/6/2016, Daniel F. Rovelli and Robert H. Bedoukian
- The Significance of GRAS and Nature-Identical for Worldwide Harmonization of Flavor Regulation
4/6/2016, Jan Stofberg