EFSA Requests More Info from Industry
February 1, 2008
Most Popular in Regulatory
- 563FDA Asks Public How to Define 'Natural'?
- 273EU Proposal Updates Novel Foods Law, Talks Nano Ingredients
- 2286th Edition of Food Chemical Codex Now Open-Source
- 151EFSA: Citrus Flavor Perilla Aldehyde is Unsafe, Genotoxic
- 72European Commission Orders to Remove Perilla Aldehyde Flavoring
- 35FEMA GRAS 26 Now Available
- 34Publication of Sixth Food Chemicals Codex
- 32FDA Warning Reminder: Whole Stevia Leaf Not GRAS Approved
- 32FEMA Updates GRAS List
- 28OEHHA Intends to List β-Myrcene and Pulegone as Cancer Causing
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) Panel on additives, flavorings, processing aids and materials in contact with food (AFC) is working on a systematic evaluation of the safety of flavoring substances currently in use in the European Union. The European member states identified 2,800 flavoring substances that may be used in and on foodstuffs, which have been divided into 48 groups by their chemical make-up. In order to confirm that their use is safe, EFSA’s AFC panel has been looking into intake levels, absorption, metabolism and toxicity of individual substances in humans. During the process, the EFSA has identified gaps in the information, and is turning to the industry requesting more information. The type of data missing varies from production volumes to information on toxicity that might require additional research and testing in vitro and in vivo. Recently, one substance, 2-methyl-1,3-butadiene (isoprene), has been identified where there are adequate data to question its safety with any certainty, given its genotoxic potential and carcinogenic effects in experimental animals. EFSA aims to complete the evaluations of all the substances by April 2008.
- How to: Organic Certification
5/13/2009, Jessica Walden and Ellen Holton, Quality Assurance International Inc.
- Ensuring Regulatory Compliance for Flavor Companies
1/9/2009, Patty Benson, SAFC
- A Structured Approach toward Standardized Specifications for the Flavor Industry
3/18/2009, G. Lösing, B. Ebeling, J. Foerstner, R. Althage, C.O. Schmidt and G.E. Krammer, Symrise
- Naturally Does It
11/16/2009, Steve Pringle (with John Gilroy), Frutarom USA
- NEXT: Commoditization and Food/Flavor Safety
1/13/2010, Jeb Gleason-Allured, Editor