The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) of the People’s Republic of China to enhance the safety of food and feed imported into the United States from China. The agreement, which is effective for five years and renewable thereafter, will begin with a determined list of products, such as preserved foods (e.g. canned mushrooms, olives, various vegetables), pet food/pet treats of plant origin or animal origin, raw materials used in making manufactured foods (e.g. wheat gluten and rice protein used in canned and dry pet food for dogs and cats), and farm-raised fish (e.g. shrimp and catfish). The two sides can add additional products by mutual agreement. Key terms of the agreement include: new registration and certification requirements, greater information-sharing, increased access to production facilities, increased access to production facilities and implementation and establishing key benchmarks. To view the MOA, click here. To view the fact sheet, containing in-depth information on the terms of the agreement, click here.
Supervision for Chinese Imports
December 7, 2008
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Regulatory
- 417Defining Natural in Flavor Substances
- 200Keeping Up with Consumers & Regulations at Flavorcon 2017
- 936th Edition of Food Chemical Codex Now Open-Source
- 53Naturally Does It
- 36Defending Flavors
- 34Carrageenan -- Out (Mic. Drop)
- 33Regulatory Watch: Trans Fat, GRAS, Fragrance Guidelines and More
- 31Regulatory View: The Taste Test
- 29Ensuring Regulatory Compliance for Flavor Companies
- 28EU Deletes Four Flavor Ingredients on Safety Concerns
- Flavor Applications in Wine
5/2/2016, Saul Spector
- The safe use of flavors—update
5/2/2016, Roger Middlekauf
- Labeling of Alcoholic Beverages
5/2/2016, Rus Schay
- 2nd symposium of The Society of Flavor Chemists "Flavors--Safety and Regulations"
- Defining Natural in Flavor Substances
1/27/2017, By Fanny Lambert, Joseph Zucca, Biotechnology Department, MANE SA, Le Bar sur Loup, France; B Christine Schippa, Analytical Department, MANE SA, Le Bar sur Loup, France