Natural 2-butyl-2-octenal (2-hexylidenehexanal; FEMA# 4616, CAS# 13019-16-4), which occurs naturally in green tea, can be used in a variety of flavor applications. From Alfrebro (Cargill Flavor Systems, now owned by Kerry), it offers a fruity, pineapple, green, aldehydic, sweet, ripe and juicy flavor profile. It can be used in pineapple flavors, as well as in pear, apple, plum and many tropical profiles such as passion fruit, guava and more. It would lend an interesting note to fruit punch and may also be useful as a top note in cranberry, pomegranate (grenadine) or plum applications to provide a tart, skinlike note.
January 27, 2012
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Natural
- 300The Future of Artificial Flavors & Ingredients
- 156Progress in Essential Oils: Spanish Marjoram Oil
- 145Organic Flavor Clarification
- 78Mane Launches Authentic and Fresh Herb Range
- 59Clean Labels Grow Into 2022
- 57The Continuing Evolution of Terpene Products and Specialties
- 46Natural Raw Materials for Natural WONF Flavors
- 36Sustainability in Madagascar's Vanilla Supply Chain
- 34U.S. Vanilla Regulations—Time for an Update?
- 29Flavor Bites: 2-Acetyl Pyrazine
- Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials: January 2005
5/5/2016, Gerard Mosciano
- Raw Material Bulletin: May 2016
- Progress in Essential Oils: Tagetes Oil
5/10/2016, Brian M. Lawrence
- Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials - July 2016
7/6/2016, Judith Michalski
- U.S. Vanilla Regulations—Time for an Update?
8/2/2016, Krishna Bala and Patrick Dunphy