Laevo-Rose oxide (FEMA# 3236, CAS# 3033-23-6) is the universally used common name of tetrahydro 4-methyl 2(2-methyl propen-1-yl) pyranone, a very challenging flavor ingredient. On one hand, it is clearly unique and irreplaceable, but on the other, it is frustratingly difficult to define precisely in odor terms. It is ostensibly one of the floral notes, and is a firm favorite of mine; I am often accused of making flavors too floral. It is most frequently described as having a rose profile, although, in my opinion, the character also has an almost metallic aspect of unripe mangoes and might be better described in floral terms as geranium rather than rose. It is obviously very important in rose flavor compositions, but the main value is in lychee flavors, which would be quite challenging to formulate without it. In addition to these rose-related profiles, laevo-rose oxide can work well in a wide range of other flavor types, adding complexity and elusive realism.
Flavor Bites: laevo-Rose Oxide
December 23, 2013
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Creation/Application
- 396Flavor Bites: cis-3-Hexenol
- 256Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials: November 2016
- 236Oh for the Love of Sugar (Reduction!)
- 188Smile for the Camera and Say (Chocolate) Cheese!
- 180Flavor Bites: Methyl Anthranilate
- 124Flavor Bites: Flavor Creation in India
- 109Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials December 2016
- 88Flavor Encapsulation: Spray Drying
- 79Flavor Focus: Meaty Aromas
- Volatile Character-Impact Sulfur Compounds and their Sensory Properties
12/10/2016, Mans H. Boelens, Leo J. van Gemert
- Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials December 2016
12/10/2016, Judith Michalski
- 2-Phenylethyl Alcohol: An Aroma Profile
12/10/2016, C. E. Fabre, P. J. Blanc and G. Goma
- Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials: February 2016
12/10/2016, Judith Michalski, Senior Flavorist, abelei flavors
- Yunnan: Production Trends with Special Reference to Geranium, Medicinal Eucalyptus and Citronella
12/10/2016, Elizabeth Ao