Laevo-Rose oxide (FEMA# 3236, CAS# 3033-23-6) is the universally used common name of tetrahydro 4-methyl 2(2-methyl propen-1-yl) pyranone, a very challenging flavor ingredient. On one hand, it is clearly unique and irreplaceable, but on the other, it is frustratingly difficult to define precisely in odor terms. It is ostensibly one of the floral notes, and is a firm favorite of mine; I am often accused of making flavors too floral. It is most frequently described as having a rose profile, although, in my opinion, the character also has an almost metallic aspect of unripe mangoes and might be better described in floral terms as geranium rather than rose. It is obviously very important in rose flavor compositions, but the main value is in lychee flavors, which would be quite challenging to formulate without it. In addition to these rose-related profiles, laevo-rose oxide can work well in a wide range of other flavor types, adding complexity and elusive realism.
Flavor Bites: laevo-Rose Oxide
December 23, 2013
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Creation/Application
- 384Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials: November 2016
- 382Flavor Bites: cis-3-Hexenol
- 177Smile for the Camera and Say (Chocolate) Cheese!
- 120Flavor Bites: Flavor Creation in India
- 77Flavor Encapsulation: Spray Drying
- 76Flavor Focus: Meaty Aromas
- 53The Story of India's Mint Oils and Menthol
- 47Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials: October 2016
- 47Flavor Bites: Two Thiazoles
- Volatile Character-Impact Sulfur Compounds and their Sensory Properties
$util.date("M/d/yyyy", $relatedItem.contentLiveDate), Mans H. Boelens, Leo J. van Gemert
- Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials December 2016
$util.date("M/d/yyyy", $relatedItem.contentLiveDate), Judith Michalski
- 2-Phenylethyl Alcohol: An Aroma Profile
$util.date("M/d/yyyy", $relatedItem.contentLiveDate), C. E. Fabre, P. J. Blanc and G. Goma
- Organoleptic Characteristics of Flavor Materials: February 2016
$util.date("M/d/yyyy", $relatedItem.contentLiveDate), Judith Michalski, Senior Flavorist, abelei flavors
- Yunnan: Production Trends with Special Reference to Geranium, Medicinal Eucalyptus and Citronella
$util.date("M/d/yyyy", $relatedItem.contentLiveDate), Elizabeth Ao